Sunday 9 May 2010

Farewell to my Muse ..

I am now empty

I am …

Yin without Yang

Strawberries without cream

Love without hate

Simon without Garfunkle

For … Late last night I caught my Muse packing his bags

I pleaded
I begged
Even got down on my hands and knees
All to no avail
Muse was adamant
Had had enough
Enough of what?
I asked
Enough of me he replied
I was struck dumb
What had I done?
What had I done?
Muse then sat me down
Like a naughty child
And gently began to explain to me
The reasons why he was leaving
With tears streaming down my face
I picked up my ever present pad
And noted them down

1) Delusions of grandeur
2) Inability to express thoughts/ideas coherently
3) Vulgar language for no apparent reason
4) Nonsensical political/social points of view
5) Outright refusal to listen

Even as I sat there listening
I knew Muse was telling me the truth
I do not think that he really wanted to go
But ..
To be honest
I had become such an embarrassment
To his ancestry
To the concept
That he had no choice
But to go
After I waved him goodbye
I went and sat in the fire chair
And thought to myself

Fool

We had kicked around together
For such a long time
It was just my own pure selfishness
That drove him away
Why did I not listen to him?
Take note of his wise words of wisdom?
After all he was my Muse
He was there for me
For me
Not for anyone else
For me …

God damn me

God damn me

God damn me

I have now seen the error of my ways

I am now packed
I am now ready
I am ready
To begin my own personal journey
To reclaim my Muse
To bring him back
Where he belongs
To bring him back to

ME




"O Muses, O high genius, aid me now!
O memory that engraved the things I saw,
Here shall your worth be manifest to all!"

Dante Alighieri, in Canto II of The Inferno

No comments:

Post a Comment